Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Tools


Do you know where your tools are?
Are you using your tools?
Do you know where to find your tools?

When I think about tools, I think about a workshop. Not a training workshop per say but a garage workshop. 
I recall seeing a few workshops growing up on a farm. My dad was a "jack of all trades" as most farmers are. He had a great workshop. Of course he kept it fairly tidy and knew where everything was. How did he do this?
Well his workshop was something he valued, some where he spent a lot of time and energy, fixing cars or farm machinery. If he needed a tool he knew where it was and that's because he took note of where he left it. This saved him time and energy and frustration looking for it when he needed it. 

Are we familiar with our workshop?
Do we spend the time to go to posapproach.com or teepasnow.com and look under all the tabs and know where our tools are? 
Have we read our manual that was given to us on our training day? Do we know what's in there, or have we just tossed it aside since we became certified?
Are we reviewing our videos to become more practiced with our material and keeping up with our skills?

How does a mechanic fix a car properly if he has no tools or doesn't know where they are when he needs them?

So I ask you this, how do we present a workshop well, if we don't use our tools or even know where they are? 

I have compared other garages with my dad's and WOW, there is stuff all over the place. How does this change the ability for someone to have something "fixed" in a timely manner?

Our tools are there, let's get familiar to where they are and how we can use them so that when we need them we know right where they are.


Image result for quotes about tools

3 comments:

  1. Love this, Liz! Since becoming a certified Trainer, I've been doing "trainings" for our associates in our communities. However, after reading this, I'm going to change the title to "workshops". Because, after all, aren't we offering "tools" and working to "repair" (learn from our mistakes), "enhance" (continue to learn to do better) and "remodel" (losing old habits and developing new ones) those that care for a person living with dementia? Seems so simple, but I think b simply change the title, it will give a different perspective. Thanks so much! This is my "ah ha" moment for the day. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AJ I am so glad you are finding value in this blog.
      AJ have you had the opportunity to get familiar with Teeps'a website www.teepasnow.com as well as our trainer website POSAPPROACH.com? There are so many tools on these sites that we can use and get familiar as to where they are so that when we need them, we can use them.
      Thanks again for sharing, I appreciate your feedback.

      Delete
  2. I refer to both of those websites on a regular basis Liz. It seems that no matter how often I got there I find more 'tools' each time. Such a valuable resource!

    ReplyDelete